You can decide exactly how innovative your company should be. Do you need your organization to produces more radical innovations or more incremental innovation or both? And/or do you want to optimize the productivity of the organization in general? The tools and principles are there – are you and your management ready to act on your ambitions?
”Ideas are in time, products have their time”
Jørgen Thorball, 2005
"The essentials of innovation" and how to make the company and yourselves more innovative:
10 advices for more innovation (Jørgen Thorball & Finn Kollerup 2006)
- Tear down the walls
- Dispose stars and ranks
- Create f ree debate
- It’s got to be fun
- Walk as you talk
- Get the gold
- It has to make sense
- Make it effective
- Be quick
- Be innovative
Try to make 3 simple changes that make all the difference:
Covering advice 1, 2, 5: Change desk at random between all employees and managers.
Advice 6-8: Change job every 4 to 6 years within the organization
Advice 4 and 9: Let people work with what they want to do - Go where the energy is!
Advice 10: Provocation is the essence of good art or design – it make us think and reconsider, the same is true for innovation. New ideas and the resulting product will provoke many when the product is new, and even more people when it is radically new. When we are provoked it means we react toward the provocation, and after being exposed (or as in allergy treatment – being desensibilized) again and again, we gradually accept the new. With our acceptance of the new, its no longer provocative, and a new platform has been created for new ideas and new provocations. Accordingly we need more and more to provoke us, as we become more tolerant and innovative.
XOventure are working with a range of best practice tools and principles for organizations and their managers – how to build an innovative high performing company.
“Go Where The Energy Is” Finn Kollerup, www-alt4kreativ.dk, & Jørgen Thorball, XOventure
"There are a few that do something interesting - that is relevant, and there are few that do something relevant - that is interesting"
Peter Kürstein, CEO Radiometer, 2004
"A condition for success in a project is to have the right person - that is burning to do the job."
Jørgen Mads Clausen, Chairman, Danfoss A/S
The intrapreneurs are the driver of innovation in corporations. The mindset of a true intrapreneurs is:
The Intrapreneurs - Corporate Entrepreneurs 12 Commands
(Pichots 1986, modified by Thorball 2004)
- Come to work each day willing to be fired.
- Circumvent any orders aimed at stopping your dream.
- Do any job needed to make your project work regardless of your job description.
- Find people to help you – strong network.
- Follow your intuition about people you choose, and work only with the best, and with those that have complimentary skills.
- Be very open about your own limitations & motives.
- Work underground as long as you can – publicity triggers the corporate immune system.
- Remember it is easier to ask forgiveness than for permission.
- When working twice as much as others, you are penalized, but it also makes you successful.
- Move other projects, while waiting for the corporate immune system to accept new ideas.
- Be true to your goals, but be realistic about the ways to achieve them.
- Honor your sponsors, you need each other!